Thursday, July 7, 2011

Catching Up in Xiaoshan- June 11th - 13th


Day 14 – June 11th
Got the internet to work! Woo! Can’t get my VPN to work. BOO.
Did a SPA on food. Just basically taught a ton of vocab and made sure she knew how to say and spell the words.
Day 15 – June 12th
Spent a good chunk of my morning just trying to get a shower finished and looking up Chinese phrases, bus stations, and general directions/landmarks to utilize on my trip into the city.
I can happily say that I can easily get to the downtown area and leave it so long as I’m leaving by 8 ish. Um… Yeah :D
Ended up buying some books; Chinese daily life phrases, a lion king in English coloring book with the flip side being lion king 2, a Chinese kid’s book for learning English, the three kingdoms: a Chinese classic, and a map. I found Robert Jordan but either in Chinese or it was his other series Conan the Barbarian. What downtrodden luck. I’m going to hunt down a few more bookstores tomorrow as well as try to find a ds charger. How does one find such a thing when they don’t technically have dss in this country… Hmm..
Ended up eating at the Korean restaurant A Panda in the Kitchen. Caved and order simple shin ramyun, which came with onions, eggs, and green onions. MMM. It was delicious though I really should have bought something else. Maybe I’ll go again tomorrow for dinner. Maybe even try burger king for lunch depending on what time I get out there.
These damn mosquitos are insane. My legs are somewhat scarred up from my bad bites from Lingyin and I have found 3 more bites on my face. In very strategic areas that almost force me to scratch accidentally. They sit right outside of my glasses. Augh.
Every time I get lost via the buses or whatever mode of transit, I seem to spend at least half an hour and always wind up walking around an entire city block back to or near where I had deviated. It’s good and annoying at the same time.
Day 16 – June 13th
Went back into the city and found myself the digital market and probably overpaid for a ds charger. On the other hand I have my ds charger. Hmm… Win-lose-win?
Chatted with the owner of the Korean restaurant and some of the workers. They were excited to hear me speak the little Korean I know just like Chinese people are excited just to hear the even smaller vocab I have.
Also learned that there’s a hand number system. I think it’s similar to sign language. Need to check on this to verify. TO THE INTERNET!
Bought some fruit from the really nice people that JC told me about. They are nice! :D Bananas are delicious.
FOuND CEREAL OMG! Frosted flakes go for about  36-50 kuai depending on the amount you get and if you’re actually shooting for the brand name. It was in the Hangzhou Tower market in the basement. I feel like things were overpriced but meh… Then again they sold Shin Ramyun for the same you would find back at home though Amazon is certainly cheaper.

Hmm, just realized that the apartment does not have a fire detector. I asked Drew and Yasmina about theirs and they also noted the lack of fire safety. I wonder how this affects house fires… Like where the hell are the fire department? Do they exist? Hmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment