Saturday, June 23, 2012

Philadelphia Museum of Art - Part 3


Not much to say here other than LOOK AT ALL OF THE COOL ARMOR STUFF!





Honestly, walking through this place made me feel like I was actually walking in the armories of the books I've been reading.



(Finally got through Robert Jordan's bullshit regarding the Knife of Dreams, biznitches be crazy...).



I was sort of attempting to show the relative ginormous-ness of the sword on top of this exhibit. Maybe it counts as a longsword with a hand and a half on the pommel...

Either way, that thing is ridiculous and I can only imagine the battles to be fought with that in hand. 

In fact, it seems crazier since we have the basic (perhaps misleading) understanding that humans were generally smaller then than they were now. 


The helmets certainly accentuated that fact. 


Also reminded me of my huge head and glorious amounts of lion's mane that would be too much for the helmets to handle.


But I must say that the detail on some of the helmets were gorgeous.





There was some armor for horses as well. 


I was fully convinced that there was an actual horse and person when I turned to see this unicorn.


Apparently the chestpiece on the left was made for quite the large man. AKA FAT.


They had armor and weapons along the walls as if they didn't know what to do with all of them.



When I saw the muzzle pieces I thought it was cruel to do that to a horse despite how awesome their grill bling looked. Then I noted that they probably need their mouths protected for the inevitable face slashing that goes on in battle.



Eventually made my way into the actual shields, swords, and guns section of the Philadelphia armory.


Some might say that Philly has some large balls.


...



If you didn't notice earlier, the curators of this exhibit seemed to have an intense fascination with Final Fantasy...


Turns out someone actually did make a gunblade in times past. God only knows if the thing actually worked well. 



It was still amusing to see it was separated from all of the other jam packed cases of guns, blades, and shields.




No comments:

Post a Comment